“Reminder to Contestants to bring your OWN cake rounds and 4 c. Icing.”
PURPOSE: To evaluate the participant’s ability to plan and decorate a two-layer cake.
- Junior — grades 6-9
- Seniors — grades 10-12
- Occupationals — grades 10-12
THEME FOR THE CAKE IS: “Find the Hero in You””
- Any affiliated FCCLA member
- 2 per chapter
CRITERIA FOR EVALUATION:
- Personal, professional appearance.
- Ability to decorate cake within time limit. They will have 90 minutes to decorate and clean up.
- Ability to organize work area.
- Use of basic cake decorating skills, safety and sanitation practices.
- Participants are to decorate a round, two-layer, nine inch Styrofoam cake with basic cake decorating skills. Decorations must include a top and bottom border, flowers with stems or leaves or both, and writing.
- Participants will be required to turn in a plan for decorating the cake when reporting for the competition.
- Participants are responsible for bringing all necessary measuring, mixing, display equipment, including all needed decorating tools. The student will provide the 9 inch Styrofoam rounds, un-tinted butter cream and 4 cups of icing to frost and decorate the cake for the contestants at check in before the contest.
- Participants must also bring desired food coloring. Icing must be colored on site. No pre-made or purchased cake decorating supplies. All decorations must be made on site.
- Participants will be assigned specific work stations.
- Participants will report 30 minutes before they are scheduled to compete. Sanitation practices will be maintained. Correct, safe temperature of perishables must be maintained.
- Participants will wear appropriate, professional baking apparel, hair covering and apron.
- Participants will have 15 minutes to clean-up the work stations. Penalties will be assessed.
- A team of evaluators will be observing work habits and techniques used and will be rating throughout the decorating process.
- Participants will be evaluated on efficient work habits, personal appearance, icing, borders, writing, decoration, level of difficulty and customer appeal.
- Participants will be rated on product as it appears on display table when time is called.
- Junior category — first three places receive medal
- Senior category — first three places receive medal
- Occupational category — first three places receive medal